Thursday, December 8, 2011

My Favorite Holiday Cookie Recipes of 2011

It's that time of the year again, holiday cookie baking time!  It seems so time-consuming to surf through food blogs and cook books looking for new and inventive cookie recipes each year, so I thought I'd do some of the hard work for y'all.  

Presenting my Favorite Holiday Cookie Recipes of 2011!

recipe by The Country Cook


These cookies were the talk of the office when I brought them in one Friday.  I actually think I offended some of the people who were too late to the cookie plate.  The recipe is SUPER easy and the results will leave you wanting more.  Definitely a favorite of 2011!  Thank you The Country Cook for sharing such a fun and amazing recipe!


recipe by SP Cookie Queen






































Chocolate crinkles are like brownie bites from Cloud 9.  They are light and fluffy, yet full of fudgey goodness, with a festive snowy powdered sugar coating.  The recipe called for 4 eggs and I only had 2 in the house, so I cut the recipe in half and as you can see in the picture above, they came out just perfect. Half a recipe gave me 34 cookies.  Thanks SP Cookie Queen for sharing this awesome recipe!


Chocolate Chip Cookies 
recipe from the cookbook "Cookiepedia" by Stacy Adimando

























Why another chocolate chip cookie recipe, you ask?  Because these have the perfect amount of crispness on the outside and chewiness in the middle, with a touch of saltiness to make the sweetness sing.  I used Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips in the picture above.   I only had dark brown sugar in the pantry so I used that instead of the light brown sugar she lists in her recipe.  I also used vanilla infused sugar that I had made some time ago in place of the granulated sugar.  Here is the recipe for the vanilla sugar if you are interested:

JAMIE OLIVER'S VANILLA SUGAR
Don't buy vanilla pods that are dry and hard -- buy them fat, sticky and squashy. What we want to do is infuse the natural vanilla flavor of the vanilla pods into the sugar. It is perfectly fine, and obviously quicker, just to pop the pods in an airtight container with the sugar; you will achieve a more subtle flavor. I really like this recipe, though, because you get the maximum flavor from the pods. 
2 pound superfine sugar
4 vanilla beans 
You need a food processor for this one. Put your vanilla pods in the mixer, blitz, scrape the sides and blitz again. Add all the sugar and blitz for about 2 minutes. Sieve the mixture into a bowl, return any lumps to the food processor and blitz again. (You may want to repeat this process if you want it really fine). The result will be a slightly ashy-colored mixture -- now that's real vanilla sugar! 
Store it in an airtight container. It should last you for ages.


recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake


Now these cookies look amazing, but I have not yet had the time to make my very own batch.  However, they look so amazing that I didn't want to leave them off my favorites list this year.   As That Skinny Chick Can Bake said, "Chocolate, caramel and pecans...who can resist that combo?"  Make your own batch and comment below on how they turned out!  I bet they will be the talk of your office too. :)

Happy Holidays to all of you!

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Even though I have been eating cookies for a week straight, I could still go for one of those cinnamon roll ones, or perhaps the thumbprints. I will have to stop by and see Brandi's recipe, I already have Liz's saved. Glad you liked the chocolate crinkles, I never thought to decrease the eggs, but you probably saved enough calories, to have another one, huh. Hope you are having a great week.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jessica! Congrats on your new cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, I've fallen in love with making cookies. They are so much easier than making cakes or cupcakes even. I don't know what it is, but I find it so much more zen. My office has now come to expect me to provide for that 3pm coffee break. lol The crinkles were a hit! Thanks again for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete